My Experience in Getting a US Visa

I applied for a US visa in 2014. I failed to write about it because I was caught up with lots of deadlines.  Now that I have applied for another visa, I just then thought that it is a high time for me to write about this. I will be sharing in this post my experience in getting a US visa. Just the experience because applying for one is just as easy as eating peanuts, thanks to Mr. Google.

The reason why I applied for a US visa was to attend a convention in Las Vegas, Nevada. I remember that I tried to delay the process because of my (MBA) studies. But then, we had a in-campus meeting, as requirement for out-of-campus extension learning,I grabbed the chance to schedule for an interview. I read many blogs and write ups on how to apply for US visa and those readings boosted my confidence to process.

Ever heard that USA is the land of the free and they likened it to the land that is flowing with milk and honey? I cannot remember anymore when and where I heard that, but then I believe that getting a US visa is very challenging and it is likened into a camel getting through the needle's hole. There is also an idea that that only the rich (you have millions in the banks and several titles of properties to your name or your family). Thinking of all these things made me shrink and cannot help to think that "maybe" I will not pass and few "what ifs".

Back in college, my auntie have been encouraging me to go to the States. The sound of it is nice, but all I wished that time is to finish College. She introduced me to some of her friends to be their penfriend, with the thought that maybe some years later it can develop into a relationship...but the thought of it at 18 years old scared me. Thinking about it now,  I guess I was not yet too adventurous that time because I was scared. I remember talking to myself that I should not worry because America will not go away. if I can make it there, then it's it will be in at the right time and "right" way.  That was in the early 90's and now fast forward to 2014.

January 2014, mom died. Their was never a slight mention of a plan that me and my sister will be going to the States that year.  We were in the course of mourning that my aunt thought that I need a break. I should come and visit her in the States. I guess it was around February, she registered me, my sister, and a couple of cousins to Youngevity -a company founded by Dr. Joel Wallach.  It is a company that is dedicated to improve lifestyles by promoting vibrant health products that also induce flourishing economics. Our aunt, registered us to a CEO Healthy Start Pak and that entitled us to attend training seminars by top leaders/conventions and summits.  So my sister had her interview in March and she flew to LA for April Convention in Anaheim, California.  As I've mentioned above, I tried to delay mine. i wish to attend summit scheduled in 2016.  But since I had an opportunity for an August interview, I did the interview!

STEPS IN GETTING A US VISA

There is only one official website that will guide you in everything that you need to do in applying for the visa and this is the APPLY FOR A US VISA in the Philippines Before you do the steps below, you must click into this link and read all the details in accomplishing the steps mentioned here. 

  1. Pay the visa application fee.
  2. Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.
  3. Schedule your appointmen.
  4. Visit the U.S. Embassy/Consulate on the date and time of your visa interview.
I remember that I was scared to start.  My mind was so occupied with a lot of things that I am not focused on what I was reading.  So I asked a friend to help me through (July).  Thankfully I got an August interview, scheduled the day after our class in AUP. 

The class was hard so I failed to review my application days before. I reviewed my application just the night before the interview.  I was told that my answer to the actual interview must match with the answers I wrote in the online form.  So it really pays to print out the form after it is filled-up.

PERTINENT DOCUMENTS I CARRIED

For the information of those who will read this post, I am not rich.  I do not have lots of money in the bank. I only carried four (3) important documents during the interview: the invitation letter from the company, the CEO from my employer, and my ITR.  

Just three things, a humbled heart, and lots of pangamuyo, and an ounce of confidence.   In my more than 3 hours of waiting, I kept telling the Lord, "Lord, if this is the time, then grant it to me. But if it is not yet, then please don't make me feel sad and discouraged."  All the time, I kept talking to Him up there.  

I was confident that I will make it good in the interview but I sort of panicked few minutes into my turn,when I knew which window I will be in.  My heartbeat was so loud and I wish I can stand up and paso paso sa hall so I could shake my hands or slap my face to stop the panic attack. I was scared I'd fall when if I get up.  lol! Basta, I had funny moments for awhile that I wish I had a friend with me to hold my hand or pinch me on the cheek. 

QUESTIONS ASKED

Three hours into the waiting, until I came to sit near the windows, I heard the common question they asked an applicant.

At 10:30, I was worried of my flight and there was still a long way to go to my number.  I started to calculate expenses in case I will miss my flight at 2pm.

So now it is my turn.  After a pleasant greeting (with a smile), and he smiled back, the consul then asks:

- What is your purpose in going to the US?

I answered the question accordingly and I heard my voice was a bit shaky. lol! Grabe kulba, but his smile sort of calmed me.  He does not look strict nor sound haughty as what I've heard other consuls are. I told him the same as what I've written in my online application like I am going to attend a Youngevity convention blah blah blah

- What is Youngevity?

I was like black for only a second and then make bawi confidently, to which he understood.

- How come you only applied now when you are already working many years with Youngevity?
 
He confused my number of years working with AMCI and Youngevity that he asked me why I only applied now when I already worked for 8 years with Youngevity.

I explained the right years according and he apologized for the misunderstanding.  

At that moment, I was already oozing with confidence because my voice was no longer shaking. I do not feel cold anymore.  The man was not intimidating  and the tone of his voice calmed me.

- Do you have any document or proof that you will officially attend the convention? 

I handed him my invitation letter.  He received it, read it, and handed it back to me.

- How much do you earn combining your income with Youngevity income? - I answered the same figure as stated in my online application.

- Who will pay for your travel?

I answered: "me personally".

The consul then said, "you will get your visa in a week".

All I said was, "thank you" with a big smile and made exit right away.

Just that! Oh wow! Thank you, Lord!

EXITING THE EMBASSY

I feel like literally running out of the embassy thinking of my flight.  My "visa application approved" moment was spoiled by the thought of "missing my flight." It was already 11:45 am.  I was happy, excited, and worried at the same time that I am back to shaking again. lol!  Caught a taxi right away and head back to the hospital to change into my travel clothes and grab my bags.

I called up a friend that we will just meet at the airport and she must be there before 1pm.  Going to the airport is a challenge due to the unpredictable traffic, so it would be a waste of time picking her up at MOA so we can go together to the airport.

WHAT I WORE TO THE INTERVIEW

I wore a dress to the interview.  Back in Iligan, I was already prepared with a slacks and long sleeves.  But when I arrived in Manila days before the scheduled interview, I decided I must wear a dress. No jewelries because I do not have any either.  ha ha ha   Some friends told me that they were their best jewelries to US visa interview. 

AT THE AIRPORT

My friend/classmate was so excited for me that she treated me to a big burger. lol! I really forgot that I was hungry.  I was glad that we made it to the airport JUST IN TIME and had time to buy a burger and eat our burger.

WAITING TIME

I was told to wait a week but my visa arrived on Friday that week.  I was just so happy to be granted one.





Thank you Lord! 

Thank you Uncle Sam!

Thank you Youngevity for the invitation!

Comments

  1. Its always fun to go back to blogging. Good luck to your trip! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Ate Em! I hope I can make another trip to the US next year. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spring Fling in Seoul - Arriving at Yeouido Park

Best Time to Fly the Cheapest Air Fares

Weekend Blog Follower Caravan #21: Welcome Followers!