Iligan City Falls Hopping!

September 26, 2012, which is also my daughter's birthday was unforgetable  for two reasons. The first reason was we went falls hopping as it was the first day (trekking) of the Watefalling Adventure Tour organized by the Iligan Bloggers Society, Inc.  The event was attended by invited bloggers from all over the Philippines.   And the second reason was, it was my daughter's birthday and yet I was not able to visit her in school.


IMG_1472

The first place we visited was the National Power Corporation Nature and Zoological Park + Maria Cristina Falls.  It is not my first time to be at both places.  For the nature park, it was my second time and all those times are with IBS.  For the MC falls, it is my nth time  as I started visiting the place since college days during school field trip events.  But each visit to this majestic falls, got a story to tell.


This is how MC Falls looks like that day.  According to legend, the falls stands for two women Maria and Cristina who both died for love.  The water gush on the left (if you are facing the falls) is Maria and on the right is Cristina.  So that day, only Maria was gushing with all its glory.   We tried to ask if we can request for even just a couple minutes of both of them falling but we were denied because all turbines were on.  They cannot let the water out or else their would be a power shortage for few minutes.


Our president explained to the group especially the visitors that this is what they can only see that day.   Though it sounds like an F moment,  the spirit of each participant did not waver a bit.  The day has still more to offer and even the fun at NPC compound was not yet done.

After the falls viewing, we proceeded to the  zip adventure.  The time when IBS ventured zip lining was during the Triangle tour exploration by the IBS in August last year.  I can clearly remember that I did not join that daring adventure.  But this time, I was encouraged to join and so I joined!    With a thudding heart and a doubtful mind, I went with the group to the steps going up to the starting point - the canopy walk.

Canopy walk? Hmmm a different story.  I will share that if I will be able to grab photos. ^^

After the zip lining that took us one hour or more maybe - because of me --- the "talawan" me, we went back to the viewing cottage for lunch.   And after lunch, off we went to another falls - the Tinago Falls.

Photobucket

As I am making this post, I tried to think hard on how many times I have visited Tinago Falls.  So this means that during the Waterfalling event, it was not my first time to see the beauty of this hidden beauty.   Hidden because of its location (u need much effort to see it and even to leave the place), the place was named Tinago Falls.    You need to do some more or less 400 steps going down the ravine to really appreciate its beauty.

This is my fourth time.  The first time was in college. Maybe that was around 1992 or 1993 December.  I remember that we do grab on the grass so we could get a good footing while coming back up from the site.    During the second, third, and this the fourth, we use the cemented stairs of which some cemented steps were broken.  Since hotel tourism has stopped in that area, the steps was not renovated nor fixed.   The challenge of going down that steep ravine is really worth the effort when you get to see the cascading beauty and its mist wetting your face and of course the lens of your camera. You can smell the fresh natural environment.   Though you can see traces of man's littering in some areas, but still you can't help but try appreciate the beauty standing in front of you.

 One thing unforgetable about this visit to Tinago Falls is that, I swam.  Not really swam like those who knew how to swim but I joined my friends in riding the  rigged bamboo poles and approached the spot where the water lunges.  It was an overwhelming experience for me.  I was the scary me but all in all I enjoyed the ride and the experience.   I dunno how to swim but I got the life jacket of which at first, did not trust its ability -  again!!!.  lol!   All in all,  I was so happy of my achievement because it was another adventure to be noted in this life of forty (40).


The thing with me when I go to Tinago Falls is that I always start the climb back ahead of everyone else.  That is to make sure that I am not pushed to hurry up nor I have to be left behind because I am too slow to climb. back.  The ravine is really steep that going up is more challenging than going down.  I did not carry dry clothes in going down because we were suppose to trek down the river to another falls location.  But we went back up, so I ended up waiting for everyone else in wet clothes.  After almost an hour of waiting for them, I realized that my strength to to be excited for the next adventure was slowly diminishing.  I wanted to change into dry clothes but I just cannot since we were the ones who were lastly picked up because Francis, Gab, I, dutifully went back to the place where we started the trek.  =) Oh well, my thought was - that was the prize of going ahead. lol!


Photobucket

The last but not the least falls to visit that day was the Mimbalut falls that was located going downstream from Tinago falls.  Meaning, the water  from the Tinago falls eventually joined forces in the waters that created the cascading beauty of the falls.

The view was beautiful but I was already too tired to make more photos that would pass even a C- grade to a prof photographers' eye.  Madam president even borrowed my camera because I was already sitting down by the side and doing nothing.  I wanted to go home and rest.  My knee joints were in too much pain and I was still wearing my wet clothes.  I could have easily go near the falls hair line but the active sparkles of the day was already long gone.  If I am to be asked the intensity of pain 1-10 I would say it was 7 and that was beyond middle score already.    It is still bearable but the effort of bearing the pain drains the energy out of me.

The falls hopping ended with a dinner at Tita Fannies.  Since I was already too tired, I missed the fun at Tita Fannies.  They told me the next day that it was a wonderful dinner that I missed and should regret about it.  But i told them no because I won't regret.  Resting early that night was a blessing because if I did not, then I surely miss the falls itinerary the next day.

So travelers and falls enthusiasts out there, come and visit Iligan and do this falls triangle tour.  All falls mentioned here are very accessible by private and or public transportation except that Tinago trek up and down is really challenging but mind you, it's gonna be worth the effort.

Thank you Iligan Bloggers Society for organizing this event and making me able to partake of it.  It is a wonderful first time ever activity of visitors in this place called Iligan, the City of  Waterfalls.

 

Note:  All photos are not watermarked and are taken by me.

Comments

  1. I so much enjoyed it with you ate Arlene! :) Like we had so much fun to the max! I also have fears... but to fully enjoy life.. we must conquer it! bwahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get tired of seeing Iligan's majestic waterfalls. They never cease to amaze me... ;)

    Balik na pud ta ate Arlene! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the thought of you conquering your fear and experiencing great things in life at forty. Love you te Arlene. And yes, there's a lot more travels and falls hopping to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scenery and the waterfalls looks so enchanting! I love nature tripping such as this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post made me relive that first full day of waterfalling in Iligan! Sana sama-sama ulit tayo next year! :)

    By the way, that Mimbalot Falls photo looks excellent! Nothing to be ashamed about :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Christian - Oh nice meeting you during the event and yes wish ko nga sama sama tayo ulit next year. If di man dito ulit sa Iligan, then maybe in nearby towns.

    Thanks for appreciating my Mimbalot falls shot shared here. It's flattering knowing that you make excellent photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @xyza - thankies xy. hugss love you too. Naningkamot lang imong Lola. Feeling so young at forty. ^^ I look forward to more falls hopping trips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes Jam, wait ko when napud mo mag announce. hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right, Francis. But I feel wlay makalupig jud sa akong katalawan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I host daw tayo ni Gov. Nanardz diba? haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. super nice travel experience you ahd sis..was in iligan sometime in 1998 pero wa ko kaabot diha sa cristina falls....maybe next time again...blog hop from hh sis..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spring Fling in Seoul - Arriving at Yeouido Park

Best Time to Fly the Cheapest Air Fares

Surigao del Sur Escapade: Enchanted at The Enchanted River